PRO-TECH has been designing packaging for the Medical Device industry for 40 years.
Our experience ensures that your medical device package will be both compliant and cost-effective. Our engineers specialize in rigid and flexible packaging and work seamlessly with production and our in-house laboratory to minimize time to market. We are experts in the latest design and manufacturing tools.
We work collaboratively with you to design the packaging that best meets the unique requirements of your device. The process is like a puzzle, and particularly with medical devices, you need a trusted partner who has put the pieces together before to avoid potential pitfalls. With this in mind, we’ll share packaging ideas to give you a sense of the options available to you – keeping quality, cost, timing and performance top of mind.
Packaging Design Process
The process typically involves a few key steps:
• Packaging Consult: We begin with a consultation to evaluate your requirements and to determine whether you need stock or custom packaging. We would consider questions like:
- Do you need a single or double barrier
- Would a pouch or tray be better?
- What packaging type and material would be most compatible with the sterilization process required?
- What label requirements are needed?
• Packaging Design: Once we agree on a preliminary design, then we’ll work on detailed drawings, provide you a fair quote, and outline how the product will be assembled in our Class 10,000/ISO 7-rated cleanrooms.
• Test Runs: We will conduct test runs to see how the packaging performs through the production process. This is a good time for customers to come see our facilities in person and see our capabilities in action.
• Validation Testing: Depending on the testing and packaging requirements for your medical device, we are adept at performing a range of validation tests. These will ensure that a sterile, protected product arrives to your customers and the end-user in pristine condition.
CUSTOMER CASE STUDIES
Innovative Design Solutions
PRO-TECH has extensive experience in designing custom medical packaging to meet our customers’ unique needs. Medical Devices come in a variety of shapes and sizes and often require customized packaging solutions to ensure safety, durability, compliance and consistent quality.
A customer had been using PRO-TECH’s stock packaging systems since launch to package orthopedic implants.
Now that sales have grown, the customer wanted to reduce the footprint of the packaging and achieve a more enhanced look.
This situation called for a fully customized packaging system.
PRO-TECH’s Engineering team designed a system that accommodated three distinct products, each with over a dozen sizes.
The solution used a common inner/outer tray and box, with retainers and interior foam to meet individual product needs.
PRO-TECH’s development team wrote and executed validation protocols for the new packaging to ensure safety and compliance.
All implants were successfully transitioned into the new dual tray system with no loss in quality and compliance.
Validations were completed on time and PRO-TECH’s production team continues to clean, package, label and sterilize all implants.
The customer is enjoying a new design for their medical device packaging and feedback from the field has been positive.